[Cuis] Some tips to port packages to Cuis

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Dec 18 05:03:07 CST 2012

Hi Germán,

Germán Arduino wrote:
> Hi Guys:
>
> Only now happened to me that could be interesting to compile in a
> document some differences between Cuis and Pharo/Squeak to take in
> account when porting code.
>
> I started here: https://gist.github.com/4323555
>
> HTH.
>
> --
> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net <http://arsol.net>>   Twitter:
> garduino
> Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
> greensecure.blogspot.com <http://greensecure.blogspot.com>
> germanarduino.blogspot.com <http://germanarduino.blogspot.com>

Good list. Let's review them. Cuis is open for enhancements! Please
don't take Cuis like carved on stone. Let's enhance it together!

1)
String >>indexOfSubCollection: sub startingAt: start ifAbsent:
exceptionBlock
instead of: String >> indexOfSubCollection: sub

I'll add this method today. I see no reason for not having it.

2)
String crCharacter
instead of: String cr

String lfCharacter
instead of: String lf

String crlfString
instead of: String crlf

 The reason for all these was to enable and test the conversion to LF
convention for Cuis. I wanted to know which senders of #cr and such
wanted a Character and which wanted a String. Naming the methods the
same is "false plymorphism". But the conversion to LF is already done,
and this affects compatibility for no good reason. There are 2
possibilities here: a) add #cr, #lf, #cflf, etc as compatibility
methods, or b) remove #crCharacter and such, changing senders back.
Opinions?

3)
Smalltalk at:
instead of: Smalltalk globals at:

This one is easy. In Cuis, #globals should answer self. A similar trick
for SmalltalkImage current and such. All these can simply answer Smalltalk.

Everybody, please tell your opinion about these stuff and the options.
And keep posting such gracious compatibility issues so we can address them.