[Cuis] Some tips to port packages to Cuis

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 05:22:25 CST 2012

Hi Juan:

2012/12/18 Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org>

> Hi Germán,
>
> Germán Arduino wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys:
>>
>> Only now happened to me that could be interesting to compile in a
>> document some differences between Cuis and Pharo/Squeak to take in account
>> when porting code.
>>
>> I started here: https://gist.github.com/**4323555<https://gist.github.com/4323555>
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> --
>> ==============================**==============
>> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net <http://arsol.net>>   Twitter:
>> garduino
>>
>> Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
>> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
>> greensecure.blogspot.com <http://greensecure.blogspot.**com<http://greensecure.blogspot.com>>
>> germanarduino.blogspot.com <http://germanarduino.**blogspot.com<http://germanarduino.blogspot.com>
>> >
>> ==============================**==============
>>

> Good list. Let's review them. Cuis is open for enhancements! Please don't
> take Cuis like carved on stone. Let's enhance it together!

Yes, this is my idea, as I don't know what additions you want to add or not
I think that this list is a good reference.

Also think is a good starting point to people learning Cuis or trying to
port packages.

> 1)
> String >>indexOfSubCollection: sub startingAt: start ifAbsent:
> exceptionBlock
> instead of: String >> indexOfSubCollection: sub
>
> I'll add this method today. I see no reason for not having it.

ok, I will fix the list.

> 2)
> String crCharacter
> instead of: String cr
>
> String lfCharacter
> instead of: String lf
>
> String crlfString
> instead of: String crlf
>
> The reason for all these was to enable and test the conversion to LF
> convention for Cuis. I wanted to know which senders of #cr and such wanted
> a Character and which wanted a String. Naming the methods the same is
> "false plymorphism". But the conversion to LF is already done, and this
> affects compatibility for no good reason. There are 2 possibilities here:
> a) add #cr, #lf, #cflf, etc as compatibility methods, or b) remove
> #crCharacter and such, changing senders back. Opinions?

In the packages I ported/porting exist a lot of this stuff....so I think
that have the same that in other distros would be useful. I  can't predict
if removing the current #crCharacter & friends will affect other already
"cuised" packages (Style Text, etc).

I think that having all of them have more advantages than disadvantages.

> 3)
> Smalltalk at:
> instead of: Smalltalk globals at:
>
> This one is easy. In Cuis, #globals should answer self. A similar trick
> for SmalltalkImage current and such. All these can simply answer Smalltalk.

But this is not the case now, right?

For example I think that SmalltalkImage don't exist currently in Cuis....or
I'm very wrong?

> Everybody, please tell your opinion about these stuff and the options. And
> keep posting such gracious compatibility issues so we can address them.

I think that this is an important point, to have all the possible
compatibility that don't affect your sense of clean design of Cuis.

Cheers.
Germán.