[Cuis] Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Dec 30 07:18:33 CST 2012

Hi Hannes,

(inline)

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Juan
>
> what you note below is a very promising perspective.
> Thank you very much indeed for the 4.1 release. It is very neat.
>
> I like 4.1 very much.
>
> --Hannes

Thanks, Hannes. I'm glad you like it.

> See other notes below....
>

>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I believe that the option that allows for a minimal image that can grow
>> is something close to the package support in Cuis, that is extremely
>> compact, doesn't require Monticello and relies on Github (or similar)
>> for version control. I like the idea of building each distribution from
>> a single point. That single point could be not far from current Cuis. I
>> believe that Cuis, removing Morphic, programming tools, and any other
>> non-kernel image or Cuis specific stuff, could become that single point.
>>
>> If the people behind other Squeak distributions and Squeak derived
>> projects want to go ahead with this, I volunteer for building that
>> starting point by removing from Cuis any stuff that anybody doesn't want
>> in there.
>>

> Yes, parts of Cuis in
> https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
>
> could be put into a packages (pck) directory and be loaded in with a
> load script.
> This would ease cooperative development of the parts in github (forking).
>
> A first candidate could be to offload a major part of Morphic so that
> only a minimal GUI like the one attached remains.

Yes, this would be nice. It is not currently my highest priority,
although that would change if Squeak or some Squeak fork(s) adopted the
idea. I that case, supporting such project would be top priority,
because of the community impact.

If it is just for Cuis, it is of course nice, but the benefits would be
limited to Cuis and its users. Unless someone else wants to work on
this. I'd fully support such initiative.

> One Workspace (REPL equivalent) and the Transcript. (No movable
> windows, just the screen split into two parts with the left part being
> editable).
>
> >From there with an Installer script Morphic and other subsystem may be loaded.

Yes. This is a great idea. And it is not really hard to do. Transcript
is already read-only and independent of Morphic. And for the REPL we
have Transcripter (a.k.a. Emergency Evaluator. See #emergencyEvaluator).
In any case, living in such a restricted world, we'd really miss the
Browser and Debugger!

> BTW
>
> https://github.com/search?q=cuis&p=1&ref=searchbar&type=Repositories&l=
>
> gives as the second entry the
>   https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
> project
>
> but marked as a C# project. I assume it is because of the *.cs
> extensions in the CuisUpdates subdirectory.
>
> Having *.cs.st as equally valuable file extension for *.cs could solve
> the problem.
> I assume there are other solutions for this as well.
>
> The goal is that Cuis shows up on the
>     https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk
> dash board to enhance the visibility.

Agreed. I'd really like to be able to tell GitHub this is smalltalk,
without changing the file extensions (asked for help on another thread).
But we can do it if there's no alternative.

> However before Morphic other packages (like Sound) are probably easier
> to unload as *.pck files.
>
> A subdirectory build or 'configurations' would be needed as well where
> people can put there scripts which build various Cuis distributions.
> (e.g. for example one which has Regex, PetitParser and XML tools preloaded)

This would be nice. But for this to work smoothly, I think we'd adopt
Angel's idea of having the packages in the same repo as Cuis, so, if you
just download some (tagged) commit from there, you already have package
versions that are compatible with the Cuis version. Right?