[Cuis] [github] Learning to use github....

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 02:20:23 CST 2012

Thank you Angel. This is helpful.

As for now I changed the file README.md (fixes of the markdown so that
bullet lists show).

I did in Git bash (under Windows 7) (recalling from memory as the
command line history is gone because of a restart)

git add README.md

git commit

(I had an error message because user name / email was not set, the
instructions to do that were included)

and then

    git push origin master

whereas origin in this case is
    https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis

I had set that earlier

and
   master
is the main and only branch.

I had to struggle a bit with the vim editor which comes with the GIT
bash shell. But as I want to work on Linux as well I do not mind.

Then I did a pull request on Github by pressing the 'Pull request'
button in the middle of the second row of https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis
at the top.

I realize that I now should learn how to create a branch, so that the
change is done in a branch and not in the 'master' branch.

Happy New Year 2013

--Hannes

NOTE:
https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests

mentions two popular models

* Fork & Pull
* Shared Repository Model

It seems that 'Shared Repository Model' is equivalent to the Squeak
'Trunk' approach?

At the moment we have the 'Fork & Pull' model. And there seem to be more models.