[Cuis] Once central repo for Cuis and Packages? Or just a central list?

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 14:16:47 CST 2012

Hello Bernhard

On 12/31/12, Bernhard Pieber <bernhard at pieber.com> wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> I have thought a little bit about the topic.
>
> While I can understand the arguments, my gut feeling is, that we should not
> put all packages into the Cuis repository.
>
> Here are my reasons:
> - It is problematic for cross-dialect packages.
> - The repository gets more complex. You get a lot of branches.
The Linux kernel has thousands of branches, branches are not 'heavy',
no duplication of files which are not changed.
> - It requires more coordination.
The coordination is done through github.
> - It is probably more work.
> - Not everyone will need all the packages.

Yes, and because of that we need a build scripts directory.

> I think an extension workspace with load scripts similar to Squeak would be
> simpler and adequate.

For the time beeing surely a good intermediary step. But how do you
create the load script without having a HttpClient (to fetch *.pck
files from github and other places)?

I would say we should not jump too quickly to conclusions but just try
out different things, see for example
https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/network

and check out my branch 'packages' as an example how a setup with a
packages collection might look like.

https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis/tree/packages

Learning github (see other thread), in particular
http://gitimmersion.com/) is surely not time wasted. If not for this
project than for others.

Anyhow as said at the moment I am fine with a central list and load scripts.

https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis/blob/packages/README.md (see example at
the end, how can it be improved?)

The challenge is not so much this data organisation question but
rather getting packages to work with Cuis. In particular I need a web
client for productive use of Cuis. And as German Arduino found out the
porting effort is not to be underestimated.

Kind regards
Hannes