[Cuis] Cypress compatibility

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Jun 15 05:25:24 CDT 2012

Hi Dale,

I misunderstood what you said. Apologies.

I agree that the main purpose of Cypress for Cuis is to ease handling
multi-dialect packages. But I don't really understand the process for
using the Cypress format in other dialects. It seemed obvious to me that
people should install and use https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/Cypress .
You say is that the preferred way to use the Cypress package format from
Pharo is via FileTree (and not Cypress), right? Does it make sense to
maintain both FileTree and Cypress for Pharo and other (non-Cuis)
dialects? Can you elaborate a bit on this?

For instance, is it really necessary to create a FileTree repository
with Pharo? Can't I just save with cuis-cypress and commit/push to git?
We are using GitHub for hosting many Cuis packages (in native pck
format), an I guess doing that in Cypress format should be really similar.

I haven't been following this on other mail lists, I don't use other
dialects too much, and I haven't used Monticello in the last 6 or 7
years. I might be asking stuff that is obvious to others... Thanks for
your patience.