[Cuis] Benching Cog (was Re: A few proposed is: additions)

Casey ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:54:12 CDT 2012

Sadly, don't have my machine with me. On Cog, run it two or three times before benching. I can't recall if it's the second or third run that does the trick (I think it's the second,) but Cog doesn't actually start putting JIT'd methods into the poly whosit whatchamacallit cache (PIC) on the first run. It's sort of a stopgap until the work is done to make it smarter about inlining machine code, IIRC.

The fact that your slowest run was took the same amount of time on the interpreter suggests to me that on your slowest run, the method implementation wasn't JIT'd or cached. Of course I'm a VM noob so don't take my word for it; CC Eliot so he has an opportunity to set me straight (which would be a very nice thing to do!) if I'm wrong here.

Casey