[Cuis] Some news (was Re: Consulta)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Nov 18 06:35:13 CST 2012

Hi Germán,

Germán Arduino wrote:
> Hola Juan:
>
> El viernes cuando charlamos me comentaste que tenías varias cosas por
> publicar........Aproveché el fin de semana para retomar algunas ideas
> de cositas para cerrar en Cuis (JSON por ejemplo) y repasando veo que
> había varios issues con Encoding, Localization, etc .....lo que tenés
> pendiente de publicaciones, cambia o tiene que ver con algo de esto?
>
> Saludos!
>
> --
> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net <http://arsol.net>>   Twitter:
> garduino
> Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
> greensecure.blogspot.com <http://greensecure.blogspot.com>
> germanarduino.blogspot.com <http://germanarduino.blogspot.com>

Let me remind you that the preferred language for this list is English,
so all the folks here can understand.

Yes, I have some 200+ change sets to be published. Maybe do a new
release, too. Most of them have to do with Morphic. While still using
the BitBlt based MorphicCanvas, all morph coordinates are now Float and
relative to the owner. No more 'bounds' and 'fullBounds' ivars, etc.
This means it is almost ready for switching to the new Morphic 3 vector
graphics engine!

I'm also working a bit on the M3 engine. Specifically on text rendering.
I can tell you it will be cool.

For those worried about compatibility, I have not changed the layouts
api. So, there was no need to do any change in code that specifies GUIs
using layout, like, for example, browsers and such. I think these
changes should not affect applications written in that style.

In addition to that, I integrated a few contributions that have been
sent to this list, and a few tweaks here and there.

What is delaying me on doing a new release, is that this would be the
first Cuis release that might be slower in some aspects than the
previous one. I haven't done benchmarks, but using Float arithmetic for
morphs might slow down Morphic a bit. It is a reasonable price to pay to
have a scalable vectors GUI, but there is little reward when using the
older BitBlt Morphic 2 Canvases. This will be a non issue on the 64 bit
Cog that Eliot is working on, but there is some impact on 32 bit VMs...

I also ported OpenQwaq's enhanced profiler. This will be available as a
pck on GitHub, as it was released by Teleplace under BSD (and not MIT)
license.

But going back to your question, no, I haven't worked on Encodings and
Localization. Please tell us more about the issues you found. If
possible, write tests to show the problems. We'd fix them!