[Cuis] Cuis on Raspberry Pi

nacho 0800nacho at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 07:43:46 CST 2013

Hannes:

Cuis 4.2 works well in the Raspberry Pi. There are, however, a number of
things that you have to bear in mind.
The first one is the OS. I've tried several of them. Here is a little
digression:
1) Raspbian: Though it's the recommended OS. I wouldn't recommend it. The
problem is that it comes with LXDE as DE and it's very RAM consuming.
2) RISC OS: Love it. But it's not good for Cuis.
3) Arch Linux: Good one. You have to install Xorg and a DE (I tried Open
Motif, TWM) and they work well. It's one of the choices.
4) PiBang: A fork of Crunchbang linux, based on the Openbox WM. Debian
based, and fast. I ended up using this one. But unloaded a lot of stuff
(tint2, nitrogen, conky, clipman).

The second one is the split between the ram devoted to the GPU and the OS. I
found that the best balance is to have 128 MB dedicated to the GPU and the
rest to the OS.

The third, you may want to have a pendrive of at least 1GB to be used as
swap area. I did that: sudo swapon /dev/sda1

The Squeak VM has benn already ported to the ARM platform. However there's
no COG VM yet. This would make a lot of difference.

Squeak 3.0 with no TTF or bitmaped ones, works really good.
Cuis 4.2 works well but I have yet to find a way to change fonts. It seems
that Cuis uses DejaVu fonts and I don't exactly know how to change system
fonts to no bitmapped or TTF. I tried several things at the Preferences
class but for now that's a bottle neck.

Also I have to work something out with sound. It's not working. Neither in
squeak nor in cuis.

Finally, I overclocked the Pi and overvolted it. But mainly using PiBang's
default settings. (check the config.txt in /boot).

Please, let me know if I can help you out or if you want some pics.

Best!
Nacho

-----
Nacho