[Cuis] Cuis on Raspberry Pi

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 11:52:18 CST 2013

On 12/18/13, Ignacio Matías Sniechowski <0800nacho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday I was thinking on how amazing is to see Cuis running in such a
> small device. I was wondering what were the specs of the Xerox Alto
> compared to those of the RasPi, the price tag, etc.

Marcus Denker did a comparison in May 2012 on the Pharo list.
I copy it in below

--Hannes

<citation>

On May 10, 2012, at 1:34 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 5/10/12, Pavel Krivanek <pavel.krivanek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Amazing, a 256MB RAM machine with a main board which includes
> everything for 35USD.
> Some five to seven years ago one would not have believed that this is possible.

This especially *screams* for re-considering certain design decisions that we
inherited from Smalltalk.

256MB of RAM makes it hard to argue for complex schemes to save some a
little ram.
(Compact classes, for example).

How would smalltalk look like if it would be re-designed with the same
philosophy that they
used when there where just 256Kb in the Alto?

This is a fun comparison:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/
vs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

1) Price.

$35 vs. $35000 (est, not adjusted for inflation).   x1000

2) RAM

256MB vs. 256Kb (max was 512, at the end).   x1000

3) CPU

1MIPS?  not sure.  Vs.  700Mhz ARMv11         x 1000 (?)
                                       + 3D and MP4 decoder

So one could argue that it's a factor of 1 Million considering price
and Performance together...

</citation>