[Cuis] About adding a Unicode handling porting layer

Ken Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Tue Feb 5 18:29:33 CST 2013

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 09:20:24 +0000
"H. Hirzel" <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> In the meantime I am investigating how to construct a small library
> which works with WideCharacters and WideStrings and the FileStream and
> UTF8Converter which deals with it.

Hannes,

Indeed Unicode is moby complex.

	http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.2.0/

I don't know if it helps, but Scheme has probably the minimal defined Unicode support -- basically read/write, code points, comparisons, and up/down-casing. The scheme standards group has argued Unicode implementation features for years. [See 7th draft]
	http://scheme-reports.org/2012/working-group-1.html

Chibi-Scheme is a bytecode implementation written in C which implements this support.

	https://code.google.com/p/chibi-scheme/

This might be a stretch, but the implementation strategy has been gone over by many eyeballs.

$0.02,
-KenD