[Cuis] (Minimal) requirements for Unicode support?

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 10:59:59 CST 2013

Hello Juan

On 2/8/13, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
> Hi Hannes, Folks,
>
> I agree with all you say, and I started working a bit on the needed
> support in base Cuis.

> For your points 1) and 2), I published a few updates. You recently
> implemented NCRs (i.e. like 𞃳) when converting UTF-8 to String.
> I added hex besides decimal, and most important, loss less conversion
> back to UTF-8.

Good. I have seen the parsing in the new method
String>>asUtf8: convertEmbeddedNCRs

> This would allow editing any UTF-8 text file, or copy/paste to external
> editors (without being able to actually see any char outside Latin, of
> course).

Yes, this indeed will expand the area of application possibilities for Cuis.

>I didn't hook it yet into the system. It should also be enough
> to serve any Unicode content in web servers such as Aida.

Yes,
If you google for
   statistics character encoding  html

the first hit claims that 75% of all web pages are encoded as UTF8.

> I also enhanced a bit the style, so I moved and renamed methods. I also
> made UTF-8 to be stored in ByteArrays and not Strings. This opens the
> path to alternative String representations, and makes more sense to me.

String is
   ArrayedCollection variableByteSubclass: #String

and ByteArray is a sibling class
   ArrayedCollection variableByteSubclass: #ByteArray

That is fine.

> Unfortunately, this means I broke the examples at
> https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-Add-Ons/blob/master/UnicodeNotes.md . I
> apologize for that.

I do not mind :-)   I'll update them.

> Please take a look.

I did and will do more.

The next question is now how to hook these Unicode utility methods
into the system.

Thank you for the updates in Cuis.

Regards

--Hannes