[Cuis] (Minimal) requirements for Unicode support?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Feb 8 09:37:45 CST 2013

Hi Hannes, Folks,

I agree with all you say, and I started working a bit on the needed
support in base Cuis.

For your points 1) and 2), I published a few updates. You recently
implemented NCRs (i.e. like 𞃳) when converting UTF-8 to String.
I added hex besides decimal, and most important, loss less conversion
back to UTF-8.

This would allow editing any UTF-8 text file, or copy/paste to external
editors (without being able to actually see any char outside Latin, of
course). I didn't hook it yet into the system. It should also be enough
to serve any Unicode content in web servers such as Aida.

I also enhanced a bit the style, so I moved and renamed methods. I also
made UTF-8 to be stored in ByteArrays and not Strings. This opens the
path to alternative String representations, and makes more sense to me.
Unfortunately, this means I broke the examples at
https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-Add-Ons/blob/master/UnicodeNotes.md . I
apologize for that.

Please take a look.