[Cuis] Suggestion for another help window

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Jan 4 03:57:09 CST 2013

Hi Hannes,

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Hello Juan
>
> In Squeak and Pharo the Transcript window is like a Workspace.
>
> For me when I first saw that this is different in Cuis I was wondering
> why this is so.
>
> http://jvuletich.org/pipermail/cuis_jvuletich.org/2012-August/000195.html
>
> At first glance it seems unnecessary reduction.
>
> You then listed the reasons for this
> http://jvuletich.org/pipermail/cuis_jvuletich.org/2012-August/000197.html
>
> May I propose to add another help window
>
> Title: 'About the Transcript window'

Good idea. Will add it later today.

> with the content
>
> In Cuis, the Transcript is not an editor and it doesn't allow the usual
> operations of a text editor. This was necessary to implement these
> properties (Cuis 3.1 release notes):
>
>             Fast (Calls return quickly)
>             Fast (Updates are immediate)
>             Thread safe
>             Can log to file in addition to Display
>             Display output is optional (for headless images)
>             Can work on a bare bones image (Doesn't need UI, dependency,
> events, processes)
>             Optional morphic window for seamless integration in Morphic
>             UI framework agnostic. Can be used to debug Morphic, even
> with the morphic window open, without crashing the image!
>             No longer a text editor. Display is read only.
>
> So, Transcript is not a part of Morphic anymore, and just blits contents
> to the Display. You need to do right click / workspace with contents.
> This opens a workspace, where you can select and copy portions.
>

> Reason:
> People should not perceive the Transcript window as being deficient
> but actually make active use of the new facilities (e.g. in analyzing
> Morphic)
>
> It would actually even be good that this is implemented in Squeak as well.

That was my intention. See
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2011-February/157402.html
. However, Eliot failed to declare me a hero ;) , and Squeak didn't
include it. When anybody starts hacking Morphic seriously, the need for
such a tool becomes evident...