[Cuis] Definition of Cuis parts

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Jan 21 20:24:01 CST 2013

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Hello Bernhard and Juan
>
> I like this idea. And thank you for coming up with the three groups.
> Good to see what is compatible with Squeak and what is not.
>
> Two remarks come to my mind.
>
> a) What about loading _all_ classes of Cuis into a namespace of
> Squeak? And then gradually start relying on the Squeak classes?
>

> or alternatively
>

> b) There was an earlier attempt at loading 'SimpleMorphic' into Squeak
> which was only a partial success. It did not work reliably. So the
> question is not so much on the Cuis side but more on the receiving
> side.

I did a port of 'SimpleMorphic' for Pharo some time ago. It did work
quite reliably. It was a technical success, but a social failure. No
matter how much the Pharo folks talk about simplifying Morphic, you give
it to them, and nobody adopts it.

> A simple test could be to do a very minimal morphic (e.g. Morphic0)
> which basically just displays the desktop background (with a downsized
> version of PasteUpMorph) and with a mouse click does 'go to previous
> project'.
>
> The test in Squeak from the user point of view would be menu
> 'Projects' -> 'New Morphic0 project', then Morphic0 is entered and by
> a mouse click it would be left again.
>
> Then in batches more classes might be added from Cuis to go towards
> the full Cuis Morphic. So a second step might be a Worldmenu
> (Morphic02) and a third step an emergency exit to the Morphic of
> Squeak (Morphic03). A forth might be to be able to create
> RectangleMorphs and move them around (Morphic04) and so on. I.e. not a
> mechanic loading of the Cuis part but a batch-wise copy/paste and
> versioning exercise.
>
> To summarize point b)
> I think the fact that Squeak now has name spaces does not make a big
> difference in the difficulties which arise for the integration. The
> challenge is to find a good sequence of integration steps.
>

> Kind regards
> --Hannes

The other challenge is to have enough time and energy to bring such
project to usable state.

Good luck with it!