[Cuis] Definition of Cuis parts

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 18:23:09 CST 2013

Hello Bernhard and Juan

I like this idea. And thank you for coming up with the three groups.
Good to see what is compatible with Squeak and what is not.

Two remarks come to my mind.

a) What about loading _all_ classes of Cuis into a namespace of
Squeak? And then gradually start relying on the Squeak classes?

or alternatively

b) There was an earlier attempt at loading 'SimpleMorphic' into Squeak
which was only a partial success. It did not work reliably. So the
question is not so much on the Cuis side but more on the receiving
side.

A simple test could be to do a very minimal morphic (e.g. Morphic0)
which basically just displays the desktop background (with a downsized
version of PasteUpMorph) and with a mouse click does 'go to previous
project'.

The test in Squeak from the user point of view would be menu
'Projects' -> 'New Morphic0 project', then Morphic0 is entered and by
a mouse click it would be left again.

Then in batches more classes might be added from Cuis to go towards
the full Cuis Morphic. So a second step might be a Worldmenu
(Morphic02) and a third step an emergency exit to the Morphic of
Squeak (Morphic03). A forth might be to be able to create
RectangleMorphs and move them around (Morphic04) and so on. I.e. not a
mechanic loading of the Cuis part but a batch-wise copy/paste and
versioning exercise.

To summarize point b)
I think the fact that Squeak now has name spaces does not make a big
difference in the difficulties which arise for the integration. The
challenge is to find a good sequence of integration steps.

Kind regards
--Hannes