[Cuis] About adding a Unicode handling porting layer

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 06:10:20 CST 2013

Hello Germán

On 1/22/13, Germán Arduino <garduino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice if you will develop the needed code!
>
> The first need I have is on the methods of Swazoo that I commented in
> other mail, but I think that is more simple, only that I don't was
> aware of the already inplace support in Cuis itself.

Yes, that took me as well some time to find out that Cuis indeed has
some limited Unicode support.

Juan originally wrote that Cuis had dropped Unicode support.

When I have a look at Cuis from outside I cannot say that it is the
case as Cuis consumes and writes UFT8 text files. Unicode text
snippets pasted through the clipboard into a Cuis TextEditor also pass
in well. The only limitation is that internally it only handles the
code points which are in https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-15.
And if I work in a Cuis workspace  with

    nn asCharacter

where nn is an Integer

   nn must belong to ISO_8859-15

ISO_8859-15 is good for most European languages. If we would have an
Add-On to cater for occasional other characters of Unicode which do
not fall into the set covered by ISO_8859-15 that would make UTF8 text
file processing with Cuis safe.

--Hannes