[Cuis] Definition of Cuis parts

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 22 08:28:04 CST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:24:01PM -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> H. Hirzel wrote:
> >Hello Bernhard and Juan
> >
> >I like this idea. And thank you for coming up with the three groups.
> >Good to see what is compatible with Squeak and what is not.
> >
> >Two remarks come to my mind.
> >
> >a) What about loading _all_ classes of Cuis into a namespace of
> >Squeak? And then gradually start relying on the Squeak classes?
> >

> >or alternatively
> >

> >b) There was an earlier attempt at loading 'SimpleMorphic' into Squeak
> >which was only a partial success. It did not work reliably. So the
> >question is not so much on the Cuis side but more on the receiving
> >side.
> >

> I did a port of 'SimpleMorphic' for Pharo some time ago. It did work
> quite reliably. It was a technical success, but a social failure. No
> matter how much the Pharo folks talk about simplifying Morphic, you give
> it to them, and nobody adopts it.

I did some work in Squeak to bring SimpleMorphic into Squeak as a kind
of Squeak Project (MVC project, Morphic project, and SMxProject). This
was intended as a proof of concept, and I never finished it. But clearly
it is possible to do this. I do not yet know anything about Environments
in Squeak, but it sounds to me like this might it easier to do.

If I had unlimited time and energy (which I do not), here is how I would
want to approach it from the Squeak side:

1) Fix enough of the bugs in MVC to make it useable. Mainly get the
debugger working with ToolBuilder.

2) Unload Morphic from Squeak.

3) Load Cuis Morphic in Squeak and get it working.

4) Make some kind of Project (CuisMorphicProject?) for projects that use the
Cuis Morphic.

5) Figure out how to use Environments so that Squeak Morphic and Cuis
Morphic projects can exist in the same image, and make sure they are
all reloadable.

6) Migrate Etoys to Cuis Morphic?

Dave