[Cuis] Cuis base image reduced by 25%!

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 15:02:47 CDT 2013

Inline

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> A few days ago I started playing with the idea of extracting non-essential
> functionality into .pck.st files. The result is that I could reduce Cuis
> by about 25%. Now it is below 500 classes and below 100kLOC :) . The new
> packages are:
>
> - Compression
> - Graphic-Files-Additional (only png and tiff, as bmp and jpg are in the
> base image)
> - Sound
> - Theme-Themes (Only the default class Theme is included in the base image)
> - Network-Kernel
> - LinearAlgebra
> - Test

I had a feeling this would happen. Not bad. How are sounds represented in
the source, are they base-64 encoded? It might be good to have the actual
sounds in a content pack, partly because I've wanted to replace them for
some time, and just got ahold of a digital audio workstation (weeeeeeeee!)

> If you update your image, all this code will be removed. If you download
> the updated image, it is no longer there. The packages themselves are also
> available at github, together with a txt file with a possible load order. I
> hope you'll find this more convenient when contributing code.

I'd put the tests back in for our development image. They don't necessarily
need to live in "release" images though. If we're still thinking of making
such a distinction. I think it's been talked about. Not having them
resident without going through an extra step will probably mean (path of
least resistance) almost no one will run them. I should get CI working one
of these days and take some of the burden of running tests off of human
shoulders.

> There are several open questions, and I ask for your opinions and thoughts.
>
> 1) The "official" Cuis image can have none/some/all of these preloaded. We
> need to allow for clean unload of packages, but if there are no overrides,
> I think it is not a big deal. I'm not sure what's best. Maybe all these
> packages (and maybe others) should be preloaded by default.

I like the full image + minimal dev image with tests idea. But we should
have CI before we start juggling two images so we know when loading a
package or not loading a package causes problems IMHO.

> 2) I'm starting to believe that it is best to have those packages that are
> kept up to date in the same git repo as the base image. This will make it
> very easy to know what is the proper snapshot of some package to be used
> with a particular Cuis update level. Besides, it makes sense to have a
> Cuis-Smalltalk organization. Therefore I created https://github.com/Cuis-*
> *Smalltalk <https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk> , although I haven't saved
> anything there yet. I'd like to discuss with you the repositories to keep
> and their structure. I think that we might store there those packages that
> are preloaded, and those that are well maintained and actually used. But on
> the other hand, folks wanting to have better control of their code might
> prefer to host them in their own repositories...

Yes, definitely.

> After all this, https://github.com/jvuletich/**Cuis<https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis>should be deleted or marked as historic.
>
> BTW, there are a few other fixes and enhancements in this last batch of
> updates. #reduceCuis now produces a 3.6Mb image with less than 80kLOC.
> Another tweak was to no longer kill the active changeset on image save. I
> hope this fits people who usually save the dev image at the end of the day.

Sweet!

--
Casey Ransberger