[Cuis] Cuis base image reduced by 25%!

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Jun 29 16:05:32 CDT 2013

Hi Casey,

On 27/06/2013 05:02 p.m., Casey Ransberger wrote:
> Inline
>

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org
> <mailto:juan at jvuletich.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Folks,
>
>     A few days ago I started playing with the idea of extracting
>     non-essential functionality into .pck.st <http://pck.st> files.
>     The result is that I could reduce Cuis by about 25%. Now it is
>     below 500 classes and below 100kLOC :) . The new packages are:
>
>     - Compression
>     - Graphic-Files-Additional (only png and tiff, as bmp and jpg are
>     in the base image)
>     - Sound
>     - Theme-Themes (Only the default class Theme is included in the
>     base image)
>     - Network-Kernel
>     - LinearAlgebra
>     - Test
>

> I had a feeling this would happen. Not bad. How are sounds represented
> in the source, are they base-64 encoded? It might be good to have the
> actual sounds in a content pack, partly because I've wanted to replace
> them for some time, and just got ahold of a digital audio workstation
> (weeeeeeeee!)

Mhhh. I think you have something there. We'd merge packages and content
pack in some way, to let package include media, with the advantages of
content pack...

>     If you update your image, all this code will be removed. If you
>     download the updated image, it is no longer there. The packages
>     themselves are also available at github, together with a txt file
>     with a possible load order. I hope you'll find this more
>     convenient when contributing code.
>

> I'd put the tests back in for our development image. They don't
> necessarily need to live in "release" images though. If we're still
> thinking of making such a distinction. I think it's been talked about.
> Not having them resident without going through an extra step will
> probably mean (path of least resistance) almost no one will run them.
> I should get CI working one of these days and take some of the burden
> of running tests off of human shoulders.

Yes. Please check a message I just sent to this thread. I think the
best is doing the minimal image only on official releases, and do dev on
a full image, as Bernhard suggests.

>     There are several open questions, and I ask for your opinions and
>     thoughts.
>
>     1) The "official" Cuis image can have none/some/all of these
>     preloaded. We need to allow for clean unload of packages, but if
>     there are no overrides, I think it is not a big deal. I'm not sure
>     what's best. Maybe all these packages (and maybe others) should be
>     preloaded by default.
>

> I like the full image + minimal dev image with tests idea. But we
> should have CI before we start juggling two images so we know when
>
>     2) I'm starting to believe that it is best to have those packages
>     that are kept up to date in the same git repo as the base image.
>     This will make it very easy to know what is the proper snapshot of
>     some package to be used with a particular Cuis update level.
>     Besides, it makes sense to have a Cuis-Smalltalk organization.
>     Therefore I created https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk , although I
>     haven't saved anything there yet. I'd like to discuss with you the
>     repositories to keep and their structure. I think that we might
>     store there those packages that are preloaded, and those that are
>     well maintained and actually used. But on the other hand, folks
>     wanting to have better control of their code might prefer to host
>     them in their own repositories...
>

> Yes, definitely.
>
>     After all this, https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis should be
>     deleted or marked as historic.
>
>     BTW, there are a few other fixes and enhancements in this last
>     batch of updates. #reduceCuis now produces a 3.6Mb image with less
>     than 80kLOC. Another tweak was to no longer kill the active
>     changeset on image save. I hope this fits people who usually save
>     the dev image at the end of the day.
>

> Sweet!
>
>     Let's discuss and think of better ways to manage the Cuis codebase.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Juan Vuletich

> --
> Casey Ransberger