[Cuis] I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Jerry Bell jdbellomm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 15:07:55 CST 2013

I would love to see an open source DabbleDB clone.

DabbleDB was a really wonderful and unique system which was sadly lost
when Twitter bought the company and shut the service down.   It was a
great example of really powerful software built in Squeak.

It >might< be possible to get Twitter to open source the original
code.  My understanding is that the company was purchased more for
their Trendly product and for the expertise of the Smallthought
Systems team in general.   Regardless, there is enough public
information out there from Avi to understand the basic architecture of
the system, and enough demos to understand how the user interface
worked.   IMHO, it's a fascinating architecture and well worth
learning about whether you actually pursue the project or not.

It would be an ambitious project.   But this sort of project, with
potential appeal to a much larger group than just Squeak developers,
might be more successful at raising funding on KickStarter than an
enhancement to Squeak itself.

-Jerry