[Cuis] Warning: Linux users -- you may not be running the VM you think you are

Ken Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Tue Oct 29 12:05:50 CDT 2013

Greetings all,

This is a cautionary tale.  I apologize to Juan for wasting his time, but how was I to know??

Basically, the story is this.  I have been losing the Taskbar and seeing some inconsistent behaviors.

================From a Cuis Workspace:

Date current print. "17 October 2013 "
Smalltalk isRunningCog. "false"

==========But in the Linux command line:

>>> date
Tue Oct 29 09:08:13 PDT 2013

>>> which squeak
/root/my-applications/bin/squeak

>>> `which squeak` --version
unknown option: --version
Usage: /root/my-applications/bin/../lib/squeak/4.0-2776/squeak [<option>...] [<imageName> [<argument>...]]

##So command line squeak is COG 2776,  BUT.. !!!

>>> ps aux |grep -i squeak
root      7924  6.8  0.9 1056392 29024 tty1    S    08:59   1:41 /usr/local/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2724/squeakvm /root/Cuis-4.2/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/Cuis4.3-MorphNoExtension.image

#######!!!NOTE WRONG VM!!!#######

[clearly] Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev >>> /root/my-applications/bin/squeak Cuis4.2-1855.image

========================1855 Workspace w correct VM

Date current print.  "29 October 2013"
Smalltalk isRunningCog. "true"

So. When I clicked on the desktop icon for an image, I got an old VM, but when I invoked an image from the command line, I got the new VM.  Sometimes I would start an image by clicking, sometimes via command line.

Inconsistent results to say the least!

So for you Linux users out there, particularly if using Rox Filer, be sure to use full pathnames to the VM you want to use.

I have no idea why invoking "squeak" from the command like is different than invoking "squeak" setup via the icon panel.  Ranlib?

Anyway, the short story is to check and not be fooled into thinking you are getting what you ask for!

FYI,
-KenD
--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com