[Cuis] Has anyone taken a look at porting Seaside yet?

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 20:56:09 CDT 2013

I should repeat myself on this: don't try to fork it. Build a layer of
indirection, a compatibility layer that maps what Seaside (and its
dependencies) need to what Cuis has.

Andreas put me onto this pattern around the time he released his Traits
implementation...

http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?FacadePattern

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Casey Ransberger
<casey.obrien.r at gmail.com>wrote:

> Juan and I have talked about it before. I looked at it. We'd love to have
> Seaside working in Cuis, but it's *not* a small job. It's a real *big* job.
>
> But that was back when there were only two of us. If the group here really
> pulled together, we might be able to get it done in a reasonable amount of
> time.
>
> One resource that could help (and also be greatly expanded in the process)
> is the Pharo compatibility layer that German has been tinkering with.
>
> If I was going to attack the problem of supporting Seaside, I'd start with
> getting Sport and Grease working reliably, and bake whatever was needed to
> make these two happy into German's compat layer. Since Seaside depends on
> these two packages, we're going to have to make them work anyway.
>
> I'd advise against attempting to fork it. You may as well fork a white
> whale. You'll end up chasing the thing around for the rest of your life:)
>
> Is anyone here active on the Seaside list? We'd almost certainly need
> *someone* to be there (and probably at least one head paying attention to
> the Pharo list) in order to succeed.
>

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Germán Arduino <garduino at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Phil:
>>
>> I not evaluated a Seaside port precisely because of it's size and
>> complexity.
>>
>> Indeed would be a nice port to have, but a lot of work to maintain I
>> think.
>>
>> Currently we have Aida and I was starting with Iliad and HttpView2, but
>> both are only work in progress by now.
>>
>> Cheeers.
>>

>> 2013/9/30 Phil (list) <pbpublist at gmail.com>
>>
>> I've been thinking that it sure would be nice to have Seaside running on
>>> Cuis but this is a big enough effort that I'd check in and see if anyone
>>> has already looked at and/or started on this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Phil