[Cuis] Help from Linux users wanted. (was Re: Cuis installation instructions in Git repo issue)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jun 3 05:47:53 CDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 09:13:54PM -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> On 6/2/2014 4:11 PM, stack at SDF.ORG wrote:
> >Hello.  I was trying to follow the instructions in the readme.md file in
> >the git repo (I am using Xubuntu 14.04 32-bit linux):
> >
> >mkdir CuisDevelopment
> >cd CuisDevelopment
> >git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev.git
> >Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/bin/newImage.sh MyProject
> >
> >The final line fails.  newImage.sh is not marked as an executable
> >(copyImage.sh is also not an executable, but getCog.sh is).  I chmod'ed
> >it, but it still fails with 'Image directory already exists'.
> >
> >getCog.sh also fails (probably a version number issue) with tar: 'This
> >does not look like a tar archive'
> >
> >Juan, you may want to take a look at it when you get a chance.  As they
> >say, you only have one chance to make a first impression...
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> I'm not a real Linux user, so I need your help. I need you all Linux
> users to review our setup instructions, and the ways for installing and
> running an appropriate VM for Cuis. Please send to the list your recipes
> for setting up a VM, including possible required libraries, etc. It
> could be Eliot's Cog, squeakVM.org, or Pharo's. Any VM that runs is ok.
> Send your instructions, specifying your Linux flavor and word size (32/64).
>
> Or just check the instructions on GitHub, fix them, send pull requests, etc.
>
> Most likely, I broke Unix file attributes while updating some file in
> Windows. A pull request from Linux should fix it.
>
> Please help me make the Cuis experience on Linux as smooth as it is on
> Windows and Mac OS.

I usually use a locally compiled VM on my PC (personal preference), but
any of the VMs from squeakvm.org.unix (interpreter VM) or
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/ (Cog) are fine. The VM included
in the latest Squeak download is good also.

A VM installed from Ubuntu is not so good. This is not a supported Squeak
VM and it has problems on a 64-bit system for sure. I can't say if it works
on a 32-bit Ubuntu.

Dave