[Cuis] Explicit status of packages (was Re: A question on packages)

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 00:19:03 CDT 2014

I love it. But I had a thought: what happens when the user of a package
isn't human? It seems like these little bits of essential information might
be very valuable to have in the image too, sort of like a "package header"
in the package file (just Smalltalk chunk code, of course.)

Maybe it's not that useful, but I think it might gel well with the package
system to ensure that useful information like this makes it into the image.
Then, I think, Ken Dickey's 'requirements' could potentially at some later
time make good use of the information (I'm thinking a dialog pops and says
something like "The package you want to install requires Cuis version X,
but you're running Cuis version X-1. Continuing may hose your image. [OK,
Hose It] [No, Abort Mission].")

Of course I can probably get better copy from the marketing department for
the button text.

Or maybe I'm over thinking things again. Thoughts?

--C

P.S. [OT NERDERY]

Anyone here play Kerbal Space Program? I'm in love. I also haven't been
productive since I got it, unless one counts designing a rocket to carry a
little green man to his nearby moon and get him back again safely as
productivity. It's great though, after playing the game for a couple of
weeks, without resorting to any kind of math, I have an intuitive grasp of
orbital mechanics, which makes me want to resort to the math next, to
deeply understand, because my rockets will be smaller and more efficient if
I can understand the science deeply. I think every little kid should have
this game. It's really effective at giving you the sense of how incredibly
vast the solar system is (much less the universe!) and how very small our
Pale Blue Dot really is.

P.P.S.

We really should put Cuis in space if we can. I bet we can...