[Cuis] differences between Cuis and Squeak and Pharo

Davide Della Casa davidedc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:51:46 CDT 2014

Hi Hari,

Thanks for the praise yes I'm working on Zombie Kernel. Cuis is most definitely a guideline for when I have questions about how the "proper" mechanism for things should be - the code is more compact so it's easier to inspect. I've done so for general architecture and for layouts so far. Will take a closer look into the new Morphic 3 soon and see what are the implications for a port to a browser environment (performance model etc).

Also Zombie Kernel used "Morphic.js" by Jens Moenig as trampoline, important credit to give there.

You are the second person to suggest a mix of Morphic and Amber on the web and yes it could be done, I don't see why not.

Zombie Kernel will definitely support "bi-language" because it's coded in coffeescript, so the "pairing" of sources to javascript is definitely in roadmap. So Amber smalltalk could fit into that, once pairing of languages is supported I think that more languages could come into the picture. I appreciate smalltalk but coffeescript suits my needs just fine, and I commit to a good implementation of Morphic on the web (e.g. with automated end-to-end tests with perceptual diffing I just finished making), that's a lot of work on its own, so I have no plans for Amber myself, but it could be a very fun path to pursue.

Davide

Pardon any typos, sent from my mobile.