[Cuis] Curious drawing performance issue

Dan Norton dnorton at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 13 10:11:36 CDT 2015

On 13 Aug 2015 at 2:29, Phil (list) wrote:

> Dan,
>

> On Wed, 2015-08-12 at 22:17 -0400, Dan Norton wrote:
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > On Windows 7 with Cuis loaded and idle, Windows Task Manager >
> Performance reports 0%
> > CPU Usage. Memory Usage is 1.28 GB.
> >

> What does the cpu usage show via World Menu -> Open... -> Process
> Browser for Morphic?

It shows 12%.

> > With BouncingAtoms morphExtent: 500 at 450, stepTime 0, nAtoms 5000
> the report is 24 -
> > 25% CPU Usage, 1.28 GB Memory Usage, 2 - 6 fps.
> >

> OK, so it's not platform specific poor performance.  If you close
> the
> BouncingAtomsMorph and wait for things to settle for a few seconds,
> what
> does Process Browser show the Morphic cpu usage as??

It shows 40%. However, Win7 shows 1 - 2%. Using Process Browser to measure absolute as
opposed to relative CPU usage seems inaccurate to me. The /difference/ in Process Browser
numbers while atoms is running vs not running agree with Win7: 1 - 2%.

I don't like for something to try to measure its own performance :-) - an independent
instrument is preferable IMHO.