[Cuis] Curious drawing performance issue

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:01:17 CDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 11:11 -0400, Dan Norton wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2015 at 2:29, Phil (list) wrote:
>
> > Dan,
> >

> > On Wed, 2015-08-12 at 22:17 -0400, Dan Norton wrote:
> > > Hi Phil,
> > >
> > > On Windows 7 with Cuis loaded and idle, Windows Task Manager >
> > Performance reports 0%
> > > CPU Usage. Memory Usage is 1.28 GB.
> > >

> > What does the cpu usage show via World Menu -> Open... -> Process
> > Browser for Morphic?
> >

> It shows 12%.
>
> > > With BouncingAtoms morphExtent: 500 at 450, stepTime 0, nAtoms 5000
> > the report is 24 -
> > > 25% CPU Usage, 1.28 GB Memory Usage, 2 - 6 fps.
> > >

> > OK, so it's not platform specific poor performance.  If you close
> > the
> > BouncingAtomsMorph and wait for things to settle for a few seconds,
> > what
> > does Process Browser show the Morphic cpu usage as??
> >

> It shows 40%. However, Win7 shows 1 - 2%. Using Process Browser to measure absolute as
> opposed to relative CPU usage seems inaccurate to me. The /difference/ in Process Browser
> numbers while atoms is running vs not running agree with Win7: 1 - 2%.
>
> I don't like for something to try to measure its own performance :-) - an independent
> instrument is preferable IMHO.

True, the external monitoring tools will tend to give you a better
absolute picture as there may be some VM overhead (esp if plugins are
involved) that Process Browser can't see.  However, CPU utilization as
reported by the OS isn't terribly helpful unless you know how many cores
the system has, was anything else active at the time, etc.
ProcessBrowser, while limited, avoids all that since it shows what was
used vs what was available to it. (usually 100/<num cores> % of total
system CPU)  Just seemed to make for a better apples to apples
comparison in this case to see if you are having the same issue re:
Morphic chewing up cycles while otherwise 'idle'.