[Cuis] New updates: Mathematical symbols in Smalltalk code

dsg dgraham at unthinkable.org
Thu Dec 3 11:50:30 CST 2015

Ugh, I hate to take this position in light of your effort, but I'd like to
propose Cuis head the other direction and adopt a strict a ISO 8859-15
character set for the core system.  I agree that the changes have greater
semantic value, but none of these keys are available on standardized
keyboards, and IMHO, they do more harm than good in regards to the user
experience.

Consider this, at some point every new Cuis user is forced to stop exploring
this wonderful new system and google "how do I type an up arrow" and then
"how do I type an left arrow".  I know there is a switch to change this
behavior, but it impacts non-coding applications as well... has anyone else
been surprised to see a left arrow instead of an underscore while taking
notes in TextEditor?

OTOH, if anyone does a Cuis keyboard kickstarter, I'll buy. :)