[Cuis] New updates: Mathematical symbols in Smalltalk code

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Dec 4 06:55:32 CST 2015

On 12/3/2015 12:06 PM, Luciano Notarfrancesco wrote:
> Wow, excellent!!!! Can't wait to use math symbols it in my code!!!
>
> I can already start using these symbols in my printOns for direct
> products and sums of algebraic structures, for example, and for the
> complex numbers, rational numbers, integers, etc, and when we have
> subscripts and superscripts polynomials will look great too.

Glad you like it!

> Using some of the symbols as binary operators will be nice too,  I
> guess we'll figure out which ones are best suited for binary selector
> use, and if we're missing any. In particular, I think I didn't see the
> "belongs" symbol (kind of epsilon-looking), which I wanted to
> implement in Object as '^ aCollection includes: self'.
> Haha, recently I've been looking at APL ;)

I need to things from you:
1) What is the code point to add
2) Take a look at #initializeUnicodeCodePoints and tell me which of the
code points stored in [16r80 .. 16r9F] can be removed. (All 32 places
are used)

> I've been thinking how to input them, tho. There isn't any easy way to
> type these special symbols, right? I was thinking on something like
> CTRL-\ followed by the name of the symbol and ENTER or SPACE, where
> the names are simple and preferably matching TeX, for example \oplus
> \otimes \bullet \circ \div..

Yes. Or you can simply type 'Character directSum', select, print, and
select and delete. It could also be made that just type/select/insertIt
(instead of doIt) evaluates an expression and replaces the selection
with the result of the evaluation :)