[Cuis] Canonical test cases?

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:08:28 CST 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 13:46 +0800, Ken.Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 15:32:39 -0500
> "Phil (list)" <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > One of the things I can do to help is to generate some test cases for
> > things I'm having to fix in my code where it seems like there should be
> > a standard API and then you would be able to look at and say 'yes, that
> > looks right' or 'no... here's how it should be done instead' and the
> > result could live on in the tests so that hopefully that particular
> > issue wouldn't occur again in future releases.
>
> This works for algorithmic things.

For traditional unit tests, sure.  What we're talking about here is
veering into small- to medium-scale integration testing.  True,
integration tests can be for purely algorithmic things as well.  But it
doesn't need to strictly be limited to purely testable functionality.
Sometimes runnable is a better test than nothing: i.e. if a test
attempts to call a method and that method no longer exists...

> A pattern for visual aspects of Morphs is an 'examples' category, typically on the class side, with message names including 'example'.  Slightly different usage.
>
> I keep thinking of an "Exploring Cuis" kind of tutorial which investigates in brief how things are put together.  Hence my Morphic-Misc1 pack which includes, e.g. a  LayoutMorphEditPanel and LayoutSpecEditPanel, so one can select a morph and edit its Layout properties from the Morph's menu to play with and see how layout works.
>
> It would be cool to do this in StyledTextEditor.
>
> If only we had 72 hour days!  ;^)

That would be very cool indeed!