[Cuis] DIRECT version number

Ken.Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Fri Jul 17 08:40:55 CDT 2015

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:03:16 -0300
Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> So, the question is,
> What is a release? How is it different from a GitHub commit?
> What is the value of a release?

IMHO, a Release is a stable point, expected to be robust and with some level of support, which one can develop against without concern for the ground changing under one's feet.

This is important in commercial projects and things one likes to demo and share around.

In particular, I would expect a Release for Cuis to have major associated packages also maintained at that particular release level.  It would be good to package the core release and associated packages matching that release together.

At this point, I test most of my packages with many (not all) Cuis Commits so that I can find/fix breakage as it happens.  I expect to do this.  I want Cuis to change for the better, radically, but I am not keeping a set of packages pegged to a historical Release.

I am willing to do maintain versions my packages for a particular Cuis release, e.g. for stable demos.  However, I would prefer Releases to be a long intervals (say a year) or after some radical change has been introduced and stabilized.

So far, this has not been a problem, but as usage increases ...

$0.02
-KenD