[Cuis] Status of Unicode support?

Ken.Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Fri Jun 26 15:32:03 CDT 2015

Sorry, Phil.  Hiking in the woods without WiFi.

Not ignoring the mailing list for lack of interest..

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 21:16:30 -0400
"Phil (list)" <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recall there was a lot of discussion a while back about Unicode
> support in Cuis and I was just curious if anyone who was in the know
> could summarize both what was agreed to and where things stand on this?

Cuis can read and write utf-8 codepoints.

I just updated https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode.  The README.md file covers the salients.

Note that due to the large size, Unicode support takes a long time to load.

As the Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode package is an add-on, UniString does NOT inherit from String; UniChar does NOT inherit from Character.

Basically you can edit ASCII and do Unicode via cut/paste, which is good enough for web pages.

No font support, but you can see the basic gliphs.

E.g.
  (Interval from: 8700 to: 8700 + 300) asArray asUniString edit.
Will give a range of math symbols you can copy.

See the README.md file.

> I should probably clarify what I'm looking for: is it possible to use
> Unicode characters in the code editors (i.e. method source code)?

I believe the answer is NO, but I have not tried this.

Note that I am unable to save an image with Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode loaded.  I believe this is due to a bug in the ARM VM version I am using, but don't have access to an Intel architecture machine to check against.

Cheers,
-KenD