[Cuis] New updates

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 18:19:03 CDT 2015

On Sat, 2015-06-27 at 10:32 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Our new community member Peter van Rooijen (welcome Peter!) reported an
> intolerable slowness in the Transcript on the Mac. It turned out to be

Hi Peter!

> that direct Display access (without the double buffering Morphic uses)
> is extremely slower on a Mac than on Linux or Windows (about 1000 times
> slower!). The fix was not trivial, but the results are good. What I did
> is to have the display update deferred all the time, not just during
> Morphic update. This requires forking a new process that pushes Display
> to the actual screen if requested, but no more than 20 fps. It seems to
> work ok on all 3 major platforms, with elimination of flicker, modest
> speedup on Linux and Windows and very dramatic speedup on Mac.

One minor display update difference I notice as a result of this change
is that when loading a large number of packages back-to-back, I used to
see progress popups sprayed to the screen (i.e. one per package) that
continued until all the packages were loaded.  Now I only see a few and
they really don't get updated giving the appearance of being frozen, but
the packages are still loading as they should.  It's not really an issue
in this case (i.e. either behavior is a bit janky but not annoying
enough to get me to do anything about right now) but something to keep
an eye on with long-running processes (spanning several seconds or more)
in other parts of the UI.

> I also fixed the statup issue reported by Dan, and integreated a fix to
> Process browser by Phil. Thank you all folks!
>
> I just pushed all this to GitHub. Enjoy!

Thanks to you for keeping the updates flowing!