[Cuis] Xtreams , Ometa and related

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Sat May 16 05:24:27 CDT 2015

Edgar,

On Sat, 2015-05-16 at 05:41 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> People:
>
> I working in my SqueakRosCore fork and think if Xtreams should be on it or
> not.
>
> Google surfing brings me
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/156355
>
> So, four years later I wish feedback about this.
>
> Cool working examples if you know of any.
>
> Opinions:
>
> SqueakSource have two projects about Xtreams, which one I should have ?

Unless someone on squeak-dev says otherwise, I would probably go with
the one pointed to by the Xtreams project page
(https://code.google.com/p/xtreams/):
http://www.squeaksource.com/@1LaiqtNjXeSo_VvX/Wfk5wECe

> Ometa  pay same day the work for having it into the .image ?

Ometa is a very cool package though I found it a bit temperamental to
get and keep running.  Keep in mind that you need to patch the compiler
which will be an ongoing maintenance issue.

While both packages are very nice, I probably wouldn't want them in a
core image as I tend to prefer the minimalist approach to images.  They
would be great optional packages to have though.  (I understand you're
talking about SqueakROS and not Cuis, but just wanted to offer my
opinion since you were asking what people thought.)

> Edgar
> @morplenauta en twitter

Thanks,
Phil