[Cuis] Xtreams , Ometa and related

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue May 26 09:29:14 CDT 2015

On 5/25/2015 5:54 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-05-25 at 09:59 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking of Andreas Raab's Smalltalk port of the Python thing that let you code in Broheim or Valley Girl. He did it in like seriously OMG Becky, several lines of code.
>> Oh, please explain this. Looks like there is something below all that
>> slang :)

Oh yes!
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/142752
. Hilarious!

> 'Valley Girl' and, I believe 'Broheim', are essentially linguistic
> caricatures of of inane American cultural stereotypes.  I warn you the
> links that follow will waste 4 minutes of your life...
>
> Some examples of English to Valley Girl translation (not a great
> example, but you get the idea):
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81IZDhXeJBk
>
> How to speak Valley Girl (a more general explanation):
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL6XBB-umc0
>
> Now, like, totally imagine programming in such a grody to the max
> language... gag me with a spoon!

Oh, this gave me a good laugh! The "valley girl" talk has a lot of
influence here. It is quite like my 12 y.o. daughter and her classmates
talk when together (and this is in Spanish!). It also reminds me the way
local web startup guys talk. The "uber cool" people that like to call
the Palermo neighborhood in Buenos Aires "Palermo Valley"... :D