[Cuis] ColorEditor updated

KenD Ken.Dickey at Whidbey.com
Sun Nov 1 22:52:24 CST 2015

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 22:01:06 -0400
"Dan Norton" <dnorton at mindspring.com> wrote:

> On 29 Oct 2015 at 16:56, KenD wrote:
..
> > Dan, note that the Morphic-ColorEditor uses #when:send:to: for
> > updates.  You can file it in and check senders.
..
> I've done that and I see that messages to SystemChangeNotifier are not required in order to  use the method.
>
> Also, the dependency mechanism itself uses #when:send:to:.
>
> Any object can use  #when:send:to: because it is an Object instance method.
>
> So, should this be named a different mechanism or is it just a different use of the
> dependency mechanism?
>
> If it's a different mechanism, is "Signals" the right name? This by Marcel Taeumel:
>
> https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/signals#Featu
> reComparison

Hi Dan.

I took a look at the Signals implementation some time ago and my recollection is that I found the implementation to be complex and less useful than I had hoped.

For my limited uses, I prefer #when:send:to:

Simplicity wins.  In the longer term I hope somebody gets a chance to rewrite the older #changed: code to use the #when:send:to: mechanism so that we can remove #changed: .

I agree that having two update mechanisms is one too many.  Adding a third dependency update, Signals, would be going in the wrong direction IMHO.

$0.02
-KenD