[Cuis] One-Click Installer for Cuis

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Nov 16 18:47:33 CST 2015

On 14/11/2015 02:12 a.m., EuanM wrote:
> I've just recently put-together a cross-platform Installation Tutorial
> for beginners to Smalltalk.
>
> I was keen to include Cuis in the exercise.

Again, thank you for this.

> One thing that becomes clear in the comparison is that Cuis is a good
> beginner's environment from the point of view of size and complexity
> and their bearing in learnability.
>
> It is however, the worst Smalltalk (of the 4 in the tutorial) to get
> downloaded and installed.
>
> This seems a pity.

Please take a look at
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/tree/master/Documentation
. There are three 'Getting Started' guides, for different OSes and user
style / preferences. They were tried (as described) in Linux, MacOsX and
Windows.

> Would anyone be willing to help me put together a One-Click Install
> package, similar to Squeak's and Pharo's?
>
> (My plan is to do the grunt-work, if other people are willing to
> indulge my noob questions while I do it)

I believe that if you take the One-Click for Squeak or Pharo, and
replace the image with a Cuis image, it should work.

> Is there a particular place that it could be hosted, once ready?
>
> Would anyone disagree with a 6-monthly update cycle for the One-Click installer?
>
> (Frequent enough to send a signal to interested beginners that the
> project is alive and kicking.  Infrequent enough that there is not
> much work to be done)

Yep, this sounds great. The natural place is
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev isn't it?