[Cuis] One-Click Installer for Cuis

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 01:02:05 CST 2015

On 11/17/15, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
> On 14/11/2015 02:12 a.m., EuanM wrote:
>> I've just recently put-together a cross-platform Installation Tutorial
>> for beginners to Smalltalk.
>>
>> I was keen to include Cuis in the exercise.
>>

> Again, thank you for this.
>
>> One thing that becomes clear in the comparison is that Cuis is a good
>> beginner's environment from the point of view of size and complexity
>> and their bearing in learnability.
>>
>> It is however, the worst Smalltalk (of the 4 in the tutorial) to get
>> downloaded and installed.
>>
>> This seems a pity.
>
> Please take a look at
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/tree/master/Documentation
>
> . There are three 'Getting Started' guides, for different OSes and user
> style / preferences. They were tried (as described) in Linux, MacOsX and
> Windows.
>
>> Would anyone be willing to help me put together a One-Click Install
>> package, similar to Squeak's and Pharo's?
>>
>> (My plan is to do the grunt-work, if other people are willing to
>> indulge my noob questions while I do it)
>
> I believe that if you take the One-Click for Squeak or Pharo, and
> replace the image with a Cuis image, it should work.

It is worthwhile to have a look as well at the Squeak all-in-one package.

I have done it in the past in an adhoc way about by taking
http://ftp.squeak.org/5.0/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.zip.

There is quite some discussion about how this was constructed on the
Squeak list and people are willing to answer questions.

--Hannes