[Cuis] Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 01:02:19 CST 2012

and later

<citation>
Because a branch in Git is in actuality a simple file that contains
the 40 character SHA-1 checksum of the commit it points to, branches
are cheap to create and destroy. Creating a new branch is as quick and
simple as writing 41 bytes to a file (40 characters and a newline).

This is in sharp contrast to the way most VCS tools branch, which
involves copying all of the project’s files into a second directory.
This can take several seconds or even minutes, depending on the size
of the project, whereas in Git the process is always instantaneous.
Also, because we’re recording the parents when we commit, finding a
proper merge base for merging is automatically done for us and is
generally very easy to do. These features help encourage developers to
create and use branches often.
</citation>

Angel,

how do you think we should use branches?

Amber https://github.com/NicolasPetton/amber (Smalltalk which compiles
to JavaScript and runs on node.js or in a browser) for example only
has 5.

--Hannes