[Cuis] Choosing an HTTP framework

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Wed May 23 21:04:04 CDT 2012

Hi Guys:

Ok, I will try to comment my attempts.

I think that Zinc is currently the best maintained http framework
(client but also have a server version and a secure server version
(ssl) named Zodiac).

My goal is port my package XMLRPC that would permit to Cuis interact
with different web services exposing an xmlrpc api.

But also I would like to have Iliad (a nice and innovative web
framework) in Cuis. Iliad currently use Swazoo as web server (also
exist some Comanche stuff). But I would like to develop an adapter to
have support with the Zinc server. The goal is that in a stock image,
having Zinc, is pretty easy to install Iliad and have a complete web
development environment.

Currently I imported the Zinc code in Cuis 4 and using the tests, I
started fixing and adapting different stuff:

https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-Pharo14CompatibilityLayer (Here I've
different packages (not all are for Zinc) to make possible to load
Zinc from its .mcz without errors).

The consideration is that Zinc AFAIK is based on the underlying http
support on Pharo, then I ported some classes (the ones that Zinc seems
to need) as Cuis-Network-MIME.pck, Cuis-Network-Url.pck and
Cuis-Pharo14CLayer.pck (it's a place where I grouped some method
classes).

Now I'm thinking what is the minimal portion of classes that I
could/should port to make the tests of ZnCharacterEncoderTests work.

In the meantime, I (almost) ported JSON and found similar
considerations (not equals), then I ported some portions that helped
me load and run most of JSON tests, they are:

Cuis-Multilingual-Encodings.pck - Cuis-Multilingual-Languages.pck -
Cuis-System-Localization.pck but I'm still with one failing test,
related with encoding questions (I'm not sure how I will solve, need
to get some free time to work on this).

Then, this is the status ( a bit confuse, I know ) of my work with Zinc.

BTW, the current Cuis packages for Zinc are in:
https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-Zinc

Please, read the README, I'm interested in know opinions also about
the naming convention.

Well, sorry if the whole stuff is a bit confusing......ask anything
that need clarification.

Cheers.