[Cuis] OSProcess status

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 17 19:34:58 CST 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 09:55:01AM -0200, Germ?n Arduino wrote:
> Hi David:
>
> Sorry by the delay but was a busy monday yesterday....

I'm busy too :-)

> In Cuis we have ActiveModel, to bind models and UIs, an approach designed
> by Juan and inspired in Visual Smalltalk. May be we should use ActiveModel
> or you prefer Object?

Probably either one is ok. OSProcess uses the #changed: #update: protocol
and in Cuis this is supported for legacy compatibility. If ActiveModel is more
efficient when using #changed: #update: then that would probably be better.
But Object will definitely work, so if you are not sure, then just use Object.

(FYI: At one time, I had updated OSProcess and CommandShell to use the "improved"
#when:send:to protocol. At that time, Squeak did not handle weak collections
well, and the performance was horrible. So I had to change everything back to
use the use the #update protocols. This was a lot of work for me, but the old
protocol is fast and efficient and I have not had problems since. So that is
why OSProcess uses the old protocol).

> Character #cr and #lf are already in Cuis, the other modifications I will
> evaluate if are better to include in the Compatibility Layer or as part of
> the OSProcess package for Cuis (*osprocess categories).

OK thanks.

> > There is no class Socket in Cuis, so tests for socket operations will fail,
> > and there will be some undeclared references to Socket.
> >

> Yes, Socket is part of the Network Kernel package, not loaded by default in
> the stock Cuis image.

Good, that makes sense to me. As you can see I am a newbie :)

> > The line ending conventions are different in Cuis and Squeak (cr versus lf)
> > so the code that I loaded looks ugly in the browser. I am not sure how to
> > fix this (probably I am just loading the files in the wrong way), but the
> > code works so I am not too worried about this right now.
> >

> Yes, the way is (previous to load the code, for example in the FileList):
>
> 1. Cmd-a Select all
> 2. Cmd-U Convert line endings to LF characters (Cuis convention) in
> selection
> 3. Cmd-s Save
>
> and then load the code.

Thanks I will try that. I think that there may be some carriage returns
embedded in strings in some of the source code, so I will need to check and
see if these are a problem.

> Sure, I will do something as soon as have a bit of free time....as produce
> the .pck.st package to avoid you such task. And also the installation with
> prereq, to install OSProcess with only a command :)

Thanks for doing this. I am busy with the holiday season so I may not be able
to follow up quickly.

Happy holidays to all!

Dave