[Cuis] OSProcess status

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Dec 17 21:30:44 CST 2013

Hi David

(inline and abridged, without repeating what Germán already said)

On 12/17/2013 10:34 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>> In Cuis we have ActiveModel, to bind models and UIs, an approach designed
>> by Juan and inspired in Visual Smalltalk. May be we should use ActiveModel
>> or you prefer Object?
>>
> Probably either one is ok. OSProcess uses the #changed: #update: protocol
> and in Cuis this is supported for legacy compatibility. If ActiveModel is more
> efficient when using #changed: #update: then that would probably be better.
> But Object will definitely work, so if you are not sure, then just use Object.

I'm preparing a SqueakCompatibility package, I'll upload it to github
tomorrow. It will have Model as an empty subclass of ActiveModel.  It
will also include #ifNotNilDo: and #fileID.

Besides, as Cuis already includes #addDependent:, #changed: and
#update:, I'm adding #changed to the base image.

> (FYI: At one time, I had updated OSProcess and CommandShell to use the "improved"
> #when:send:to protocol. At that time, Squeak did not handle weak collections
> well, and the performance was horrible. So I had to change everything back to
> use the use the #update protocols. This was a lot of work for me, but the old
> protocol is fast and efficient and I have not had problems since. So that is
> why OSProcess uses the old protocol).

I see. I'd suggest using #wen:send:to: but just because I find it nice,
and performance should be good in any recent Squeak image :) . In any
case, in Cuis, #addDependent: / #changed: / #update: are implemented
using #when:send:to: and #triggerEvent: . So, performance wise, it is
the same.

> Thanks for doing this. I am busy with the holiday season so I may not be able
> to follow up quickly.
>
> Happy holidays to all!
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave.