[Cuis] OSProcess status

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 05:42:43 CST 2013

On 18 December 2013 03:45, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
> (abridged)
> On 12/16/2013 1:08 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I have updated OSProcess with some fixes for Cuis. This is not complete,
>> but it provides a working version that passes most tests when running on
>> an interpreter VM (not Cog). I have been working with fileouts from Squeak
>> and I am not sure how to load an mcz file into Cuis, but if anyone would
>> like to try it, the updated version of OSProcess is here:
>>
>>    http://www.squeaksource.com/OSProcess/OSProcess-dtl.87.mcz
>>
>> Before loading this, there are some changes that I made to my Cuis image
>> first. Here is what I did:
>>
>> The line ending conventions are different in Cuis and Squeak (cr versus
>> lf)
>> so the code that I loaded looks ugly in the browser. I am not sure how to
>> fix this (probably I am just loading the files in the wrong way), but the
>> code works so I am not too worried about this right now.
>>
>> It's a start :)
>>
>> Dave
>

> Hi Dave,
>
> With the appropriate compatibility package and / or some tweaks to Cuis (I
> described them elsewhere in this thread), it looks like you could support
> Cuis with exactly the same code as Squeak.
>
> Given that extracting the code from a MCZ file is not hard, I could write a
> simple tool to allow converting an MCZ file to .pck.st format. This tool
> would also convert newline characters (cr, crlf, lf) to Cuis default: lf.

How difficult do you think it would be to write the reverse tool,
converting a .pck.st to MCZ? I'm thinking of something that could say
"I depend on this repository, at this commit id" and grab something
from github. The user just sees an MCZ. I suspect the hard part is the
fact that an MCZ has a UUID identifier and a funny name. Something
would need to remember that this tag in the git repository mapped to
this (UUID, author, version number) triple. A masochist would suggest
storing that in the tag itself...

frank