[Cuis] About adding a Unicode handling porting layer

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 05:51:28 CST 2013

Hello Germán and Juan

As we have seen we can say that Cuis handles Unicode to a certain
limited extent.

I will post summary a writeup of what I know about it later. I am
interested in working/contributing to an add-on which loads Unicode
support into Cuis.

For general work I need

a)
an add-on so that Cuis can process arbitrary UFT8 text files. However
the majority of the content characters will fall into the
  https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-15
range. So it is fine if the other characters are rendered as \unnn or &#nnn;

b)
Another more rewarding put maybe more difficult way  would be to
replace the String class with a class which handles 16bit characters
instead of 8 bit characters. In terms of structure all would remain
the same. Characters would be 16bit like in Java.

This will come later. At the moment I am working on ContentPack
version 2 which will run on Cuis, Squeak and Pharo.

Kind regards

--Hannes