[Cuis] About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Jan 17 05:21:43 CST 2013

Hi Hannes,

(below)

H. Hirzel wrote:
> On 1/16/13, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Hannes,
>>
>> H. Hirzel wrote:
>>
>>> And I see that there is as well FFI
>>>
>>> https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
>>>
>>> Where did the code come from?
>>> What is the status?
>>>

> ..
>
>> It came from Squeak's FFI package. The status is usable. I used it only
>> on Windows, but there should not be (big) problems to use it on other
>> platforms.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>

> Thank you, Juan,  for the clarification. Good to know that we have the
> FFI (Foreign Function Interface) package in Cuis.
>
> Squeak has the following load script in the 'extending the system' workspace
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
> 	install: 'FFI-Pools';
> 	install: 'FFI-Kernel';
> 	install: 'FFI-Tests';
> 	install: 'FFI-Win32';
> 	install: 'FFI-MacOS';
> 	install: 'FFI-Unix'.
>
> So I assume you took the code from http://source.squeak.org/FFI?
>
> Your https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
> was changed 9 months ago.
>
> In that case probably everything released in 2011 was included but not
> the updates by Torsten Bergmann, right?
>
> Just curious, do you remember, was it more or less a 1:1 file-in as it
> does not touch GUI classes or did you have to do changes?
>
> --Hannes

Querying the code is more reliable than querying my memory. Let me guide
you.

- In an updated Cuis Image, open a File List. Navigate to FFI.pck.
Select it. Click on (code). This opens a browser on the package code
without actually loading it.
- Open a web browser on http://source.squeak.org/FFI . Download the last
version of each Monticello package.
- In Cuis, open a File List, navigate to the .mcz files. Select each
one, and click on (code). Yes, Cuis can show you the contents of
Monticello packages.

Now it is rather easy to see that FFI.pck includes the stuff in
FFI-Kernel and FFI-Pools. No platform specific stuff is included.

So, you think that the Cuis package doesn't include some newer cool
updates. (I haven't been following  Torsten's work.) Ok. Let's see. Now
do install the FFI.pck. Select FFI-Kernel.mcz. This time select
contents. A browser that shows a list of methods opens. Now select any
method. Mhh. Well, the package uses the Cr line separators, not Lf as in
Cuis. No big deal. Click on (linePrettyDifs). Now line separators and
formatting are not an issue when comparing code. Click (deselectAll) Now
do 'select methods equivalent to current' (via right click menu on the
methods list) and 'remove selected methods'.

Now you can compare the differences, see what changes were needed for
Cuis, see what has been changed recently in the Squeak package, etc.