[Cuis] Warning: Linux users -- you may not be running the VM you think you are

Ken Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Wed Oct 30 11:56:41 CDT 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 04:11:45 -0700
Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ken, curious about a couple of things, stuff to say about something else.
>
> What distro and version are you using Linux-wise?

Puppy Linux [Precise].  It is a small distro that runs in RAM.  I use OpenBSD for financial stuff and bigger Linux distros for various tests and tools.

> When you talk about losing the taskbar, are you talking about the Cuis taskbar (which I'm mostly guilty for) or the one in your X11 environment?

The Cuis taskbar.

The short story here is that, running multiple distros, I keep the HW clock on UTC, not local (GMT-7) time.  The old VM was not picking this up, so the Taskbar stepTime was way in the future.

No steps meant that the taskbar came up off-screen and never refreshed to a location according with my screen size.  I could send "Taskbar reset; initialize" or start stepping the existing Taskbar but it did not appear on my screen and I had to use the World Menu > Windows > Find Window facility to restore minimized windows.

Big pain and I learned a lot by finding out where and how the Taskbar works.  It took me forever to discover that the location was reset in the Step method.  But I did learn a lot!

-KenD