[Cuis] Warning: Linux users -- you may not be running the VM you think you are

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 14:22:47 CDT 2013

Ugh! Enough already!

This irked me when I was writing the miserable thing. There should be a general facility that can inform a morph about the dimensions of the screen, which can tell that morph that the screen's dimensions have changed, without using stepping. Ideally, or I think, by asking the VM more or less directly and not having to worry about the World (I say this because if we can use a prim, I bet we can get rid of that nasty delay after changing the window size where the taskbar seems to need to catch up with the eye as a consequence of waiting on #stepTime.)

Can anyone think of anything? The main reason the taskbar has to do this stupid dance is when the user changes the size of the window, if it doesn't poll the VM for window size, it won't stick to the bottom of the window, or be the proper width.

There has got to be a better way to do this. Halp? Ideas? Even Juan was like (paraphrasing here) "well, I wouldn't have thought of doing it this way, but okay."

Mainly because -- at the time -- it fixed a problem with some behavior he'd removed. If you clicked the minimize button you'd get a DNU. So I wrote a hacky taskbar to give it a better behavior than that. End result was the minimize button actually still worked. But the use of stepping to size the bloody thing has always bothered me. There's got to be a better way to do it.

Grump grump grump, dumb dumb dumb, me me me.

Seriously halp, mah peoples.