[Cuis] Help from Linux users wanted. (was Re: Cuis installation instructions in Git repo issue)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Jun 2 19:13:54 CDT 2014

Hi Folks,

On 6/2/2014 4:11 PM, stack at SDF.ORG wrote:
> Hello.  I was trying to follow the instructions in the readme.md file in
> the git repo (I am using Xubuntu 14.04 32-bit linux):
>
> mkdir CuisDevelopment
> cd CuisDevelopment
> git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev.git
> Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/bin/newImage.sh MyProject
>
> The final line fails.  newImage.sh is not marked as an executable
> (copyImage.sh is also not an executable, but getCog.sh is).  I chmod'ed
> it, but it still fails with 'Image directory already exists'.
>
> getCog.sh also fails (probably a version number issue) with tar: 'This
> does not look like a tar archive'
>
> Juan, you may want to take a look at it when you get a chance.  As they
> say, you only have one chance to make a first impression...
>
> Thanks

I'm not a real Linux user, so I need your help. I need you all Linux
users to review our setup instructions, and the ways for installing and
running an appropriate VM for Cuis. Please send to the list your recipes
for setting up a VM, including possible required libraries, etc. It
could be Eliot's Cog, squeakVM.org, or Pharo's. Any VM that runs is ok.
Send your instructions, specifying your Linux flavor and word size (32/64).

Or just check the instructions on GitHub, fix them, send pull requests, etc.

Most likely, I broke Unix file attributes while updating some file in
Windows. A pull request from Linux should fix it.

Please help me make the Cuis experience on Linux as smooth as it is on
Windows and Mac OS.

Thanks!