[Cuis] One-Click Installer for Cuis

KenD Ken.Dickey at Whidbey.com
Thu Dec 17 22:45:03 CST 2015

Sorry, I am still not getting Cuis list emails.

EuanM> > > Is there a sense of when Cuis will be able to use the Spur VM?

KenD> > You pushed me over the edge.  I am now/currently working on this.

Phil> Just curious how it's looking?  Looking for any help?  I'm itching for
this as well but am not clear what needs to be done (Eliot detailed a
single change source edit required to Behavior but it wasn't clear to
me what the rest of the process to actually migrate the image file is)
At the very least I'd be curious to know what steps are involved.

The basic process is to download the Cog build tree, build a VMMaker Spur image which has both the oldWorld and newWorld (my names) interpreters.  An image is read into the oldWorld, processed into a newWorld image, pixie dust is used, and the newWorld (Spur) image is extruded.

The overview is easy to grasp:

SpurBootstrap>>transform
	self findRequiredGlobals.
	self installModifiedMethods.
	self recreateSpecialObjectsArray.
	self initializeClasses.
	self bootstrapImage.
	self validate.
	self rehashImage.
	self followForwardingPointers.
	self scavengeImage.
	self freeForwarders.
	self compactImage.
	self reportSizes

However, it appears some bitrot has occurred and the deep details matter.  This is live image surgery.

For me it is going slowly.  It involves a deep understanding of both old and new interpreters, which I don't yet have.  The StackInterpreter alone has 1532 instance variables, so understanding process details is time consuming.

Eliot's time is also overbooked.

I spent some useful Skype time with him, but there is some deep magic that Eliot needs to do.  I just don't have enough context yet.

So, I have not given up, but progress is a bit slow so far.

Baby steps,
-KenD